[or-roots] What went on in Oregon 1870-188

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Sat Oct 8 20:11:14 PDT 2005

Suzanne;

I don't think any of our Indian wars would have "attracted" Thomas, unless
he happened to be enlisted and was transferred out here as a result of one
of the wars. Oregon  Bluebooks summary of that time frame doesn't mention
any gold rush, though it does seem to me that we might have had some minor
rushes in that time frame, here is what the blue book says;

1870
 Census enumerates 90,923 residents
  Abigail Scott Duniway launches suffrage campaign

1872
 Oregon & California Railroad completes line to Roseburg
  Modoc Indian War commences

1873
 Oregon Patrons of Husbandry (Grange) forms chapters
  Modoc Indians face trial and execution at Fort Klamath
  Oregon Pioneer Association forms

1875
 First U.S. Life-Saving Service station opens near Coos Bay

1876
 University of Oregon opens
  Robert D. Hume builds salmon cannery on Rogue River

1877
 Nez Perce Indian War involves Chief Joseph's band
  Congress passes Desert Land Act

1878
 High schools authorized for districts with 1,000 students
  Bannock-Paiute Indian War sweeps into southeastern Oregon
  Women gain right to vote in school elections

1879
 BIA Indian Training School opens in Forest Grove

1880
 Census enumerates 174,768 residents
  O. R. & N. Company begins railroad through Gorge

1881
 BIA Chemawa School opens near Salem

1882
 Normal schools open in Monmouth, Ashland, and Drain to train teachers

1883
 O. R. & N. Company railroad reaches Umatilla providing transcontinental
links

1884
 Oregon Short Line railroad extends to Huntington

As you can see there were definitely some Indian problems, but these were
handled mostly locally by volunteers as I seem to recall, with some
detachments of regular military to krun things.

Maybe he just couldn't stand the rest of his family? Also there is always
the possibility he was running from something or somebody.

Les C

So, I have from 1870 thru 1876 that I am trying to trace him.  Does anyone
know if there were indian wars or gold rushes or anything like that that
would have attracted him to Oregon?  or to the Willamette valley?

Suzanne in Newberg
suz_es at verizon.net