[or-roots] Wagon trains and Americus Savage

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Wed Oct 19 11:07:27 PDT 2005

Thanks Albert;

I don't know if the Presleys are too concerned with the Savage line or not,
if they are they have their work cut out for them because Marion county is
full of them in the 19th Century. I extrtacted the wagon train references
from my earlier post in case anyone pursuing that subject had missed those
references, the thing that intrigued me about all that was the reference;

"Thomas and Azariah will either go back with him"

I probably could figure it out if I took the time to read the entire web
site thoroughly, but as a stand alone statement it leaves me wondering back
to where, why??

I am too lazy to try and figure it out though.

Les C

Bonjour,

There was an AMERICUS SAVAGE from Maine on the Oregon Trail in 1851

Regards,
Albert

 "John Savage, subject of this sketch,	.	.	.
moved to Schoolcraft, Michigan, where they lived a
few years and from there immigrated to Oregon in 1846. A more extended
account of Towner Savage and his genealogy appears elsewhere in this volume.
John Savage was but twenty years of age when he crossed the plains and no
doubt drove an ox team or herded the loose stock, to do his bit. In their
immigrant train were Sidney, Tom and Asa Smith, a family by name of
Walker and others. Oscar Williams was captain of the train.
Steeves,
Sarha Hunt, BOOK OF REMEMBRANCE OF MARION COUNTY, OREGON, PIONEERS 1840
-
1860, Portland, Oregon, The Berncliff Press, 1927 (Source: G. O. Savage,
Salem, Oregon, 1926) pp 67-68.
Re: CANNON; PRESLEY; SMITH

Posted by Kirby Ross <dthill at uswest.com> on Mon, 10 May 1999

Surname: Cannon, Presley, Smith
Looking for information on MARY SMITH CANNON/LEWIS W. CANNON who settled
in Marion County ca. 1849, along with DAVID PRESLEY/MAHALA WELTY PRESLEY.
SIDNEY SMITH/BARBARA PRESLEY SMITH settled in Marion County in 1853,moved
to Linn County with David Presley ca. 1860.

from;	http://www.rootsweb.com/~molincol/misc/ms-smith-history.htm
140 Years Of Smith History              July 2004

1847 1848   Lewis and Mary Smith Cannon, and daughter Rachel, go to
		Marion County, Oregon, on the Oregon Trail.
            1848   David Presley and Mahala Welty Presley, and children,
                       including Barbara, go to Oregon.
            1848   Sidney goes back to Oregon.  Given the family
relationships, the Cannon's, Presley's and Sidney, probably all traveled
together.
         Thomas and Azariah will either go back with him
or go back in 1849 with Calvin.
13 Feb 1849   Sidney Smith marries Barbara Presley in Linn Co.
                     Oregon, then goes on to California, leaving his wife
with
                      the Presley's.  They will have four children.