[or-roots] help needed / Rooster Rock

Nancy Lee Adams nancydean at columbia-center.org
Wed Oct 26 17:46:49 PDT 2005

Hi,
Not sure where I'm coming into your search here, but I found this on-line
about Rooster Rock. You were looking for a location of the right Rooster
Rock & I found this web site that explains a little bit about it & the early
Rooster Rock.
I love the Columbia River Gorge & all of it's history!  Nancy

Lewis and Clark's Columbia River - Latourell Falls, Oregon
Image, 2004, Rooster Rock State Park and Youngs Creek, click to enlarge
Click
image to enlarge, Rooster Rock State Park, Oregon, and Latourell and Youngs
..

       Early Rooster Rock ...
Lewis and Clarked camped at Rooster Rock on November 2, 1805, and called it
a "high projecting rock" and a "high peak resembling a tower". According to
Oregon Geographic Names (McArthur & McArthur, 2003):
"... The modern name is of phallic significance originating from rhyming
slang."
In 1841, Charles Wilkes, of the U.S. Exploring Expedition called it the
Obelisk" on his map "Sheet No.6 of Columbia River". He also had Tunnel Point
labeled "Square Rock" and Reed Island as "Vancouver Island.
A post office called "Rooster Rock" was established in May 1876, but changed
to "Latorell Falls" in August 1887.
Early Latourell Falls ...
"Latourell Falls" was the original Post Office name of the small community
located near Latourell Falls, while the railway station near the Columbia
River was named "Latourell".
According to McArthur in Oregon Geographic Names (2003):
"Rooster Rock was the name of the first post office in this vicinity. It was
established in May 1876 with John Gilstrap postmaster and was named for the
natural feature nearby. Joseph Latourell became postmaster in August 1876,
and the name was changed to Latourell Falls in August 1887. The office was
closed in September 1964. The compiler does not know if the office was moved
when the name was changed."
A passage from the 1940 publication "Oregon, End of the Trail", by the Works
Projects Administration (WPA) of the State of Oregon:
"... LATOURELLE FALLS, 164.9 m., take a sheer drop of 224 feet into a pool
at the base of an overhanging cliff. LATOURELLE BRIDGE was so placed as to
give the best view of the falling waters. ..."