[or-roots] Report on settling the estate of Amos Williams Olney

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Fri Oct 28 18:02:51 PDT 2005

I suspect that this is a matter of misinterpretation, could he be referring
to the court records of settling said "Estate"?

The publication date for "The Report etc" being 1900, I went to 1880 Census,
only likely candidate;

 Name  Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation
Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
 Amos W. OLNEY   Self   M   Male   W   68   RI   Retired Grocer   RI   RI
 Mary J. OLNEY   Wife   M   Female   W   53   RI   Keeping House   RI   MA
----
Source Information:
  Census Place Providence, Providence, Rhode Island
  Family History Library Film   1255212
  NA Film Number   T9-1212
  Page Number   326A

However it would seem form the below that Dick isn't actually interested in
Olney, but in other kin in the "publication"

Okay, tried RI genealogy links, lots of Olney, no Amos Williams -

Did find proof this is more than a court record;

[Report on settling the estate of Amos Williams Olney, with exhibits showing
genealogical heirs descended from Zebedee Williams, his maternal grandfather
and great-great grandson of Roger Williams] (Unknown Binding)
by Albert A Baker

Product Details

Unknown Binding
Publisher: Albert A. Baker (1900)
Language: English
ASIN: B00088RTK8

Unfortunately, there is none listed for sale by google or Amazon, so my best
guess, short of finding out what happened to Mr. Silvernail's copy (my bet
is it is futile, unless somebody gave it to Medford gen soc) is still to
contact Providence, RI genealogy society and see if they know where a copy
is.

Les C

Joan, let me tell you what I know. I have been doing my wife's genealogy
(since she has been slow to respond to my exhortations). In the process I
was provided with two hand written genealogies of her family on her fathers
side which were sent to her in 1969 and 1970. The author was Claud
Silvernail who penned the 22 pages of information I am still entering into
Family Origins 8.0. At the top of both documents Claud wrotethat the source
of his information was the "The Estate of Amos Williams Olney". My
understanding was that when Claud penned these documents he was living in
White City, Oregon, just outside of Medford. They have since blended
together. He has since passed away.

Some lines of my wifes ancestors come from Rhode Island and England before
that. Her maiden name was Hanes who came to Oregon from Wisconsin and New
York before that. Tracing the surnames back: Hanes<Matteson<Rhodes<Olney.

Our records start with John Olney, born about 1580 in Hereford, England and
continue through Lydia Williams born 12 May 1757. She married Peleg Rhodes,
Jr. The bottom line is that we have no record of Amos Williams Olney nor the
document bearing reference to him. No we have not yet checked you Olney
database. I will now attempt to locate. trust this helps. Will appreciate
any information you can provide. Thanks.

Dick

Subject: [or-roots] Amos Williams Olney family

The below was on Roots-L from RNPflueger at aol.com
Does anyone recognize the book, or Claud?
Pat (in Tucson)
 We are looking to purchase "Report on settling the estate of Amos Williams
Olney" published by Albert A. Baker in 1900. This publication contains
exhibits showing genealogical heirs descended from Zebedee Williams, his
maternal
grandfather and great-great grandson of Roger Williams. One copy last known
have been in the possession of Claud Silvernail in a VA home in White City,
Oregon in the late 1960's. We need your help. Thanks.
Dick