[or-roots] Memories of WWII

E V Barnes evbarnes at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 23 15:31:11 PDT 2005

I was born in Portland, but my family moved to CA in about 1934.
In about 1943/44 out near Sunol, CA., the SP frieghts would stop
for a nearby one way tunnel, and you could see the tanks on flat
cars, with soldiers who would wander off into the nearby orchard
to get fresh fruit.

In Oakland, one of the hills out near 98th had an observation post.
We used to bike out there and take mags. to the soldiers.  Once in
a while we would have to hide in tall grass when an officer visited.

Out where the Oaknoll Navy Hospital was, it sat on what was once
a federal shooting range.  We used to dig up spent bullets and once
you had a peanut butter jar full, trade it at the local theater just off
73'rd and McArthur, with a penny and get into see the matinee show.

I wonder if any one in Oregon recalls the Chrysler Thunderbolt of
about 1939-40. (It may have been a later date)  It was displayed in Oakland.
In my memory today it seems to have looked like the old Cord auto with
out the front louver trim.  The headlites were in the fenders and enclosed.

Of course there were he postwar twins - Kaiser/Frazier.