[or-roots] Flogging dead buttermilk horse

E V Barnes evbarnes at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 28 10:41:31 PDT 2005

Query How old.  8-9 possibly serving as
SERVANTS 10 on probably serving on
the farm.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Leslie Chapman
  To: Oregon List
  Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 6:56 PM
  Subject: [or-roots] Flogging dead buttermilk horse

  Okay, I am sure most folks are pretty tired of the "Buttermilk Corner"
  postings, but since I hadn't participated,  nor did I have any recollections
  of the place I hadn't done any poking around online on the subject,
  obviously some of you did some from what got posted earlier, but what came
  through on the list is really only the tip of the iceburg, anyone still
  curious for more info should google the term, also try Msn search and yahoo
  to be on the safe side, I found a thread on a whole differant list of
  "buttermilk Corner" query responses.

  Also found this;

  Anne Terese Boss
  Saturday, July 30, 2005
  The Oregonian
  A funeral Mass will be at 11 a.m. Tuesday, Aug. 2, 2005, in St. Therese
  Catholic Church in Portland for Anne Terese Boss, who died July 22 at age
  97.

  Anne Muth was born Nov. 7, 1907, in Hungary, and immigrated to Portland as a
  child. She was a waitress for Buttermilk Corner, where she worked for 35
  years. In 1949, she married Clifford; he died in 1987.

  Survivors include her daughter, Patricia Schaffer; sister, Rose Cooke; four
  grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

  Remembrances to the Oregon State Library Talking Book & Braille Service in
  Salem. Arrangements by American Burial.

  I wish they had specifed when she started or quit there, as I bet some of
  you knew her.

  Also couldn't resist posting this;

  From; http://us.geocities.com/sledge.geo/poetry.html

  Sledge's Ledge and all related insignia are © 1996 Neil Allan

  III

  dust kicking up behind the trucks -- night rides--
  who waits in the coffee shop
  night highway 99

  Sokei-an met an old man on the banks of the
  Columbia river growing potatoes & living all alone,
  Sokei-an asked him the reason why he lived there,
  he said

  Boy, no one ever asked me the reason why.
  I like to be alone.
  I am an old man.
  I have forgotten how to speak human words.

  All night freezing
  in the back of a truck
  dawn at Smith river
  battering on in loggers pickups
  prunes for lunch
  The next right, Siuslaw.

  Portland sawdust down town
  Buttermilk corner, all you want for a nickel
  (now a dime)
  --Sujata gave Gautama
  buttermilk,
  (No doubt! says Sokei-an, that's all it was
  plain buttermilk)
  rim of mountains. pulp bark chewd snag
  papermill
  tugboom in the river
  --used to lean on bridgerails
  dreaming up eruptions and quakes--

  And last but not least for folks who think we shouldn't be chatting about
  the good old days in a genealogy forum, they can always suggest we move to;

  http://bbs.goodolddaysonline.com/cgi-bin/goodold/board/webbbs_config.pl?#348
  3

  The disadvantage of going there is it is a board that you post to, not an
  email list, it is also very ad heavy.