[or-roots] no electricity

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Thu Sep 29 21:37:49 PDT 2005

I have told this story before in here, but will repeat it, in 1979 when my
now wife and I started living together, we moved into the 16 x 24 cabin that
my folks raised all my five siblings and me till age eight in, when Dad Ma
and I moved out in 1957 we disconnected the electricity and took down the
lines some years later when the power company re routed the power to
Grampa's. The Cabin never had indoor plumbinge except water to the kitchen
sink, we had a water heater that ran from coils in the wood cookstove when
the family all lived there, but the stove and hookups were long since too
rusted to use when wife and I moved  in. We had some years before remodeled
the chicken house into a new closer to the house outhouse, only 150 '
instead of the 5 or 600 it used to be, and we cooked our food in 1979 on a
two burner propane camp stove.

Needless to say the woman was very much in love to stick by me in those
conditions for seven years, oh .  .  . I forgot to mention the siding was so
decayed from 40 years of not being painted and the house settling into the
dirt that we had to cover the inside walls witha a layer of cardboard to
keep a candle lit on the dining room table.

Ah yes, I remember the good old days!

Les Chapman