[or-roots] Idaho Springs, Idaho...

CARROLLOUC at aol.com CARROLLOUC at aol.com
Wed Feb 22 10:21:55 PST 2006

Hi Les

Thanks for all of the websites. The military archives  is where I got the
info on James. I will look at more of the links as I have  time.

His parents, Nathaniel and Sophia Lucinda Cowles lived  on a farm near Ft.
Collins, CO.
They are in a history book of Ft.  Collins.

Apparently Idaho Springs is in CO, however, since  James was from Idaho in
the recods I received, and there wasn't a state for Id  Springs I "assumed" that
it was in Idaho.

Have since found it on a map of CO.

As James was a miner he may have gone from Idaho to Id  Spgs to work in the
mines and enlisted from there.

Several years ago my sister obtained his military file  from NARA. I am
curious and wanted to know where he was from in Idaho. Guess I  will never know.
Also have his discharge paper but still no  clue.

Thanks for the great websites and your  help.
Carroll

Ah, are  you sure you want to look for it in Idaho?

the only thing like Idaho  springs that comes up in USGS locater in Idaho is;

Idaho Spring 395507  Spring Owyhee ID 42 23 01N 117 01 02W Deacon Crossing
5358 -

Terra  server is down so I can't pinpoint it on the usgs, but on Google Earth
the  above coordinates take me to the absolute middle of nowheere, it is
maybe  1/4- half mile east of Greele Ranch road about half way between  Sheep
Reservoior and top Reservoir. Well, actually it is just a few  miles
southwest lf Boise, but Boise has a clearly defined end of  civilization at
that four or five mile mark and from there to Idaho Spring  there is NOTHING.

Now Idaho Springs, Colorado on the other hand is  probably where he was;

http://www.idahospringsco.com/

seems to  be city hall link, with picture of their 100 + year old used to be
a school  city hall building.

If you go to  Rootsweb;

http://www.rootsweb.com/roots-l/USA/co.html

you will  find all sorts of Colorado links, I am  not going to take time  to
chase any more of them now, but I think you will find the following  link
interesting;

http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/Personz_Detail.cfm?PER_NBR=-20785533314299650

it  is a part of his regimental  record.

http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/Soldier_Results.cfm?maxcount=340&start=321&unitc
ode=UCO0002RC&NumLeft=1690&counter=320

will  take you to the page in the roster he appears on, moving forward or
back is  accomplished by clickin on the red numbers where it says viewing
341 - 360  of  2010

http://www.itd.nps.gov/cwss/template.cfm?unitcode=UCO0002RC&unitname=2nd%20R
egiment%2C%20Colorado%20Cavalry

is  the unit history.