[or-roots] Pacific Typhoon- Columbus Day 1962

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Sat Jan 7 11:58:50 PST 2006

Hi Bill;

Bummer, aint puters wonnnerlu. Was just noticeing lasst night that for the
umpteenth time I am trying to reorganize on a new one because the old one
jsut wasn't cutting it and find a whole list of folks I have promised CD's
and stuff to that probably never got them because the project got lost in
the shuffle. SIGH. Will try again to contact them when have the time, if any
of them are in here feel free to drop me a note off list to chastise me

reedsportchapmans at verizon.net

and I will put you in the queue, I think I will make a directroy labeled
"promises" that my computer will open up every time I turn it on just to nag
me. I discovered a lot of those proomises while trying to archve my backlog
of personal genealogy email in a usable form, after two days archiving just
what med the move from the  last machine I stll have two screens full of
letters to go and 30 page file created.

As to Columbus day, I remember it well Mom, Dad, middle Bro and Zeke the
faller were storm bound for two weeks in Alaska by the tag end of it, sure
raised heck with Oregon timber. Went deer hunting across the river here once
in late '60's and took two hours climbing over windfalls from storm to top
of ridge, got the bright idea of trying different route down and spent
another hour crawling down hill in bear run through salmonberry. It occurred
to me part way that maybe that wasn't smartest place to be, but by then
didn't have much choice.

Les C

I sure have been having trouble trying to stay off  'no mail' on this
list -- wonder why it keeps getting changed?

Anyway, in the interest of maintaining a correct historic Oregon
timeline, since I didn't see it mentioned under this subject, many of us
have had the typhoon experience without the aid of a naval enlistment or
commision.

October 12th, 1962 -- The Columbus Day Storm -- was the remnants of a
pacific typhoon.

Happy New Year -- keep your shoes dry!

Bill Strickland