[or-roots] Pacific Typhoon- Columbus Day 1962

D. J. Brotherton djbrtb at kci.net
Sat Jan 7 19:21:01 PST 2006

I worked for the state (Salem)  in the Labor and Industries Building.  We like dummies stood at the windows and watched the trees blow down in Wilson Park.  Then they decided we should all go home in the height of the storm -- some decision.  I couldn;'t stand up in the open -- women were crawling on their hands and knees to get to their cars.  When I got to the intersection of Center and Summer -- I put my arms around the street light standard and  guess what the lights came down all around.  Luck would have it my husband came along with out BIG pontiac star chief and I got in.  It took us 2 hours to get to where our children were on Brown Road and Sunnyview Avenue.  We drove across live wires and had a large brick hit our car, trees fell in front of us and we had to keep backtracking, down D street past the hospital, etc..  But all in all we got to our kids where we stayed until the next day.

When we went to our house on Silverton Road -- the large 2 story barn was gone --not even a sliver of wood left or foundation, but the old plastic covered greenhouse stook without a mark.

All in all it was an experience not to be repeated.

Hope I haven't bored you with my tale.

I love the experiences people share .

Dolores in Colorado
djbrtb at kci.net