[or-roots] typhoon

cjp joppe cjpjoppe at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 8 23:34:13 PST 2006

As kids we were visiting close family friends and
playing outside getting blown around (over in
Vancouver). Our Dads got stuck at work at KISN Radio
when it was down at 10th and Burnside broadcasting -
Bill Howlett doing the news, my dad Sprig Parrott was
the engineer did the news on the "other" shift.

Us kids slept in the basement under a picnic table -
we had little idea of how serious it all was - we were
happy to have a giant sleepover. While we had power we
listened to KISN (of course!)  our Dads couldn't call
because phone lines were down, but were able to let us
know over the air that they were stuck there and would
keep broadcasting untill someone could get there to
relieve them...
We wen home the next afternoon and were amazed at how
many trees were down/damaged.....

--- Judy Folden <jfolden at techline.com> wrote:

> I didn't know it was a typhoon.  I was 18 and worked
> in downtown Portland. I was taking the bus home to
> SE Division when it hit. A roof flew off a metal
> bldg. as we crossed the Willamette. We turned onto
> 15th where trees were falling a blocked the bus. The
> driver (a woman) had to back the bus back down the
> street to Hawthorne and work her way back over to
> Division. My parents were out of town. The power was
> out and trees in our yard were bending almost to the
> ground but didn't break. Pretty scary since that was
> so uncommon for Portland.
> Judy F

carole
cjpjoppe at yahoo.com