[or-roots] typhoon

George Ross ross1948 at bendcable.com
Mon Jan 9 06:46:09 PST 2006

October 12, 1962....The night the Madison High School "Class of 66" was to
entertain at half-time during the football game. As we met in mass, there
were several hundred of us, in the school cafeteria we could hear the wind
and listened to things hit the building and windows as they flew around
outside.  Someone found a tall ladder and sat on top with a lantern that
provided the only light as we ate our cold hamburgers. Of course we couldn't
leave the building unless our parents came after us.  Even for me who only
lived three blocks away it took my mom and a neighbor over an hour to cover
the distance. Those who lived along the Columbia River were sent home via
taxi.  Needless to say our class never performed the Hokey Pokey at
half-time.

Julie Langston Ross
MHS Class of '66