[or-roots] Need advise, Microfilm

barbhg1221 at comcast.net barbhg1221 at comcast.net
Mon Jan 30 15:59:55 PST 2006

Nancy,
In searching old newspaper microfilm for obits, I was surprised at how many deaths were actually front page items.  On the other end of the spectrum, I have also found a death mentioned in the little community "gossip" sections, too, but usually not with much additional useful information.

On your interlibrary loan, I have found our local library anyway to be very accomodating in extending the length of the loan.  I think that they check with the Knight Library first.  Then, if no one else has requested the film, they will extend it for another two or three weeks.

Good luck,
Barbara Herring

From: "Nancy Lee Adams" <nancydean at columbia-center.org>
Hi..Need advise,

I requested micro-film from the Knight Library, Eugene, OR. for Oregon Statesman newspapers the years 1852 (when my McCubbins line came to Marion Co., OR and 1877 the year my ggg-Grandfather James McCubbins died. I went to the Library this am & searched & searched &  >>>>. I realize it's not easy finding what you want, but does any one have a clue on how to approach / search better in these reels of microfilm as I have 6 to go through & the library keeps them on hand for 2 weeks. What I'm desperately still trying to find is hopefully & it's a long shot, an Obit. on my ggg-Grandfather James McCubbins who died Sept. 6, 1877 North Salem, Marion Co., OR.  Searching for Obit & his grave & getting no where fast. I think in all the searching I did this am I only found one Obit for someone else.

Thanks! Nancy