[or-roots] Little yellow signs

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Sun Mar 5 14:01:46 PST 2006

Actually those "little yellow signs" actually come in a number of types, you
can often see them, especially on Federal land, wherever a section line
crosses the road you may find a sign that will give you the information
about what section you are in, and where you are in relation to the corners.

Also, as my little brother takes great delight in reminding me, they are
usually bearing trees or bearing "objects" in the case where the reference
is on something besides a tree. These will be in reference to a set corner,
in current GLO parlance witness trees and objects are for corners that
cannot be set, say in the middle of a lake or some such, and are very rarely
used, but as you can see below, in original GLO speak what are now called
witness trees are the same as bearing trees.

"
Under theGLO, the public land survey system (PLSS) was developed,in which
land was divided into a grid of square townships, each containing 36 square
mile (1.6 × 1.6 km) sections (Fig. 1).At each section corner and the
mid-point between section corners (quarter corner) a survey marker, usually
a stake, was placed. Between two and four witness trees were identified and
measured to document the corner location. Tree species, diameter, distance
from the corner, and compass bearing were recorded in the surveyors’
notebook. When traversing the section lines, the surveyors also recorded
trees that fell along the section lines (line trees), and trees around
survey posts set where section lines intersected lakes or impenetrable
wetlands (meander corners).
"

Actually on further review it seems to me like whoever put this piece of
text in the document I retrieved it from didn't really know what he was
talking about, as Meander corners were just that meandering corners. while
they are often set on section line intersections with lakes, ponds and so
forth, just because it is a meander corner does not mean it is on a section
line.

All right enough boring technical jargon, another category of little yellow
sign you may find when in the outdoors is boundary markers on federal
property lines, but those will not have any info on where you are.

As far as finding yourself when you are in the woods, the BLM uses the
Township, Range and Section on their roads, that is what those enigmatic
signs you may have never undestood mean eg; 21 12 4; the problem is what
that sign actually tells you is where one END of the road is, not where you
actually are, if it happens to be a fairly long road, and you don't know
where you are and which end is in that section, that information may not
give you much help.

Well enough chit chat, now I am sure a lot of you that actually had the
patience to read this whole thing are more confused than ever.

You're welcome!