[or-roots] New resource for Coos County researchers

EugeneMelvin.roots at comcast.net EugeneMelvin.roots at comcast.net
Mon Mar 20 14:16:49 PST 2006

Great Site.  I am planning a trip to Coos County this summer to do some research on my grandparents and aunts and uncles.  Last time I was there was june 1967.

Eugene

From: Robyn Greenlund <rgreenlund61 at yahoo.com>
The website www.coquillevalley.org is now up and operational.

This project is tied directly to the new Coquille Valley Historical Museum located in Coquille. All my research into my home in Myrtle Point has resulted in my getting a lot more involved in helping to automate the records and information from the local area. The new Historical Society and museum are incredibly receptive to help and suggestions, and are receiving a considerable number of artifacts and photographs from the local area (Take a look at the Museum lin to see what all they have in the museum already).

One of the focal points of the website will be to use the Internet to help identify some of the hundreds of photographs they have that were done by a local photographer between abt 1880 and the turn of the century. This name was Charles Wilkins.

The website is by no means complete (are they ever????) but you can use the What's New links to keep track of what I've completed. Some of pro jects closest to going online are a second timeline for Myrtle Point based on the book Myrtle Point Beginnings (the first went active last week); information on the Smith Wood Products factory in Coquille and help in identifing some 170 employees of the mill in abt 1933; and transcribing biographies from Orvil Dodge's book, Pioneer History of Coos and Curry County for the US Biography project. And to continue another thread...The existing online index to Orvil's book is wonderful, but only contains about half the names found in the biography section of the book. There is also an index that was done some time ago that indexes both the narrative and biographical sections of the book - it's a fantastic resource.

For the computer savvy...Please only bookmark coquillevalley.org as I will keep the domain but will be moving to a new host soon. The host I started with didn't mention a couple critical factors - like there are pop-ups associated with using their site and that I can't access my domain from their servers. So everything is mapped and boomarks don't work.

Regards-
Robyn

Yahoo! Mail