[or-roots] Aliquot Parts

Kith-n-Kin Kith-n-Kin at cox.net
Fri Mar 24 09:03:46 PST 2006

Bea and all

I forgot to say last evening that I have the 1878 plat as well, which actually shows the Casey farm. I
will send it in a separate e-mail.

For everyone, I should alert you to these map "opportunities."

The University of Oregon, Knight Library has, on its website, township plat maps of Oregon counties by
township. Once you know what township something is in, you can look there. The collection is described as
"Digital Copies of the Cadastral Survey Maps for Oregon, produced by the General Land Office in the 19th
and 20th centuries."  Go to: http://libweb.uoregon.edu/map/GIS/Data/Oregon/Quadrant_1.htm  There you can
click on a "quadrant" and see what maps are available. Fascinating stuff. The maps are zipped, and I
recommend making a folder for them and saving each to the folder. I went nuts when I tried another way.
<no comments required, nor accepted>

This is where I got the map I sent Bea last night.  Now, Bea, you can get a clean copy.

For other interesting maps, see http://libweb.uoregon.edu/map/

For modern "property maps" go to http://www.ormap.org/, click on the left on Cartography, "maps online"
and go from there. After you click on Marion County, then on 05s01w, you find a whole bunch of choices on
the map list on the right. As it happens, you are looking for 051w05.pdf  (the last "05" is the section
number).

In this case, you will find the Casey claim in a part called "D" -- so you also want to look at
051w05d.pdf.  If you go to the left edge, finding the Casey claim, you will see, "See map 051205c". When
you get that map, you will see most of the claim. Then, you will want to look at section 6.  The left side
of "C" shows you to go to 051w06D.

I don't know about the golf course, it must be reflected here somewhere. Maybe you can compare these to a
modern map?  I did the sat image overlay with twp 6s1w to determine who the "real" originators of Mt Angel
were (well, I knew, but wanted to verify who lived where -- an interesting story). It was very difficult
to lay the township grid on the sat image. If it weren't for the Allen farm, conveniently not square and
not on 90 degree angles, still shaped the same way, I'd never have gotten it done. It was very interesting
to see the difference between the original settled claims, and the 1878 owners. Mostly the same people,
but children bought property from Uncle Henry, etc.  And, then everyone sold to the Catholics for the
seminary, and hardly anyone farmed anymore, I guess.

This is really quite a bit of fun, and I highly recommend it instead of hanging about in bars and other
questionable places. <G>

By the way, for Ronda(?) who was trying to find a physical address from a Rural Route?  The above maps may
help, in conjunction with the tax information, if you have it.

Pat