[or-roots] ancestors

Steve & Ronda Howard whizinc at comcast.net
Wed Mar 29 15:56:39 PST 2006

Hi Glen,

Thanks for looking.  My Charles could have been most anywhere, probably
running from the law.  I have not yet found any parent or sibling names.  I
do "know" he was born in or about 1885 possibly in Kentucky, and had
siblings.  According to one of the prison intake forms, he started drinking
and using tobacco at age 10.  His father also drank and used alcohol.

In 1908 he was convicted of forgery in Pendleton.  He got out in August
1910, and got married sometime before he was convicted of forgery again in
April 1911 in Walla Walla.  He went to the rock quarry in Milton Washington.
He was discharged in 1914, and moved to Lane County, Oregon.  He married my
husband's grandmother in 1915.  He stole his Father-in-Law's horse, sold it
as his own, was caught and convicted of forgery in 1916.  He escaped from
the Oregon State Penitentiary in 1918, was caught in California and sent
back.  He was discharged in 1920, and was in and out of prison in mostly
California for at least the next 10 years.  He usually used Charles or
Edward, Barrett or Howard; sometimes James Harris and Robert Williams.

Would you send me the details for the marriage that Charles Howard
witnessed?

Thanks!

Ronda

  _____