[or-roots] SP&S

Eunice Young emy at oregontrail.net
Sat Sep 16 14:25:47 PDT 2006

Thia discussion brings back many memories.  We lived in Portland for many years, my mother was born there and Dad was born in Condon but went to Portland since he was a young boy, his mother died in 1903 and his farher and thry came to Portland not too much later, apparently with a new wife.   My grandfather died in 1917 so Dad was made independent at a young age.

He worked in the office, for a long time in car accounts.
They kept records on each boxcar by hand in big books.
Before computers they went to a key punch system and Dad was in xchardge of that.  That was when World War 2 was going on and was a very difficult job for him  and the key punch operators.  Also Dad was general chairman of the Railway Clerks of SP&S and their subsidiaries for 25 years.Then we went over and worked in Personell.

After high achool and then going to Pacific Business College  where you were considered graduated so when I was 17 I started working at the SP&S, first as a messenger which  I believed was $2,95 a day.  I went to competer school; at night and started gaetting finally t be personal steno to Mr. Phillips on the second floor   This was in one of the two old red brick buildings (complete with cockroaches.

We drove over the exit from the Burnside Bridge that was torn down and not far from the train depot in Portland.
I understand this to be in the Pearl District now.

Eunice McKinney Young