[or-roots] Madden farm in Polk County, OR in 1880

Paulette pswitzertatum at peoplepc.com
Wed Feb 28 13:40:32 PST 2007

Thanks very much for the information, Leslie. I have seen that info on the Dennis Madden land claims in Union County also (what a great online BLM feature!) Very intriguing and the only Dennis Madden I've seen after finding the March 1877 Polk County marriage to Sarah Jane Sumner Madden in the OR State Archives, "at the home of Samuel Sumner." This house puzzles me as Samuel and his wife Lucinda Jane Moore Sumner were in the Linn County, MO 1870 US census with kids James Clark and Sarah Jane, and back in Linn County, MO for the 1880 US census. They did own land there. However, Samuel (b. Abt. 1829 in Indiana) died and is buried in Polk County (Etna Cemetery according to copies of family letters)in 1897. I can't figure out so far whose land the Sumner house in Polk Co. might have been on. A Sumner "cousin" in Texas (but born in good ol' Oregon) says her Moore relatives bought the family burial places in Etna, so perhaps the land was Moore land.

I have to get that Polk County history again to look at whose land claim the Madden farm was on. I didn't realize the importance of that detail the first time I read the book, and saw the Madden farm mentioned.

Thanks for you good help,

Paulette