[or-roots] HQ 1880 census

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Mon Mar 12 08:44:43 PDT 2007

Sue sent me the images I was looking for, and then mentions she got them
from Heritage Quest which startled me since I have been using it for two or
three years and never noticed they had 1880.

Turns out they just added it.

So then she tells me Joseph is listed as sister in the Ancestry.com index
also which leads me to believe as I have for some time that the LDS index
and apparently Ancestry index also are based on an index created when the
Census was taken.

The reason I say this is there is absolutely nothing in the images of this
census to lead anyone to call Joseph his mother's sister. My hypothesis is
that in the original notes Christiana was listing her children; then adding
after Rachel "and her next sister is" and so on, in the process of
transferring this info from notes to some index form the transcriber
converted the relationship to Rachel to each child's relation ship to the
mother. The fact that there is no occupation listed for the last child in
the Census image might bear this out, but I don't think the indexes were
created from original notes, so how the heck did that mistake get in there
since the children are all clearly marked correctly as son or dau.

Oh well enough of my blather.

Les