[or-roots] Need a look up in 1930 census

Marilyn Schwartz familyismytreasure at comcast.net
Sun Aug 10 23:09:10 PDT 2008

Regarding the name "Blanchette," I wonder if there is a chance the name was
taken in honor of Father Norbert Francis Blanchet, since his tenure in
Oregon was during the time the Indian population was beginning to take
anglicized names.

Again, in my internet "browsing," I find that Father Blanchet arrived in
Oregon in 1838 as the Vicar General for the Missions of Oregon in 1838.
>From http://www.archdpdx.org/previous-archbishops/ab_blanchet.htm:  "By
1878, the Archdiocese of Oregon City (later Portland in Oregon) had 23
churches, nine academies for girls, one college for boys, two parochial
schools for girls, an orphanage and Indian mission schools, with 23 priests
and 68 sisters.  . He retired in 1880" (at the age of 83).

I wonder if there's a chance Ada was at the orphanage or one of the Indian
mission schools.  Just a thought.  I love to speculate about history:-).  Do
you know if the family was Catholic?

Marilyn

  _____