[or-roots] Diamond Ranch, Oregon

glenkc7mbm at comcast.net glenkc7mbm at comcast.net
Wed Aug 20 06:42:06 PDT 2008

Gerrie
Just to set the record straight, a number of history books for the area have the correct info on the Diamond Area, I also have copies of the probate records thanks to Sandy Flory, Oregon geographic names when the 8th edition comes out will have corrected information about the Diamond Area and Ft. (Camp) Harney also.
Glen

--
Glen A. Jones

From: Cuprum4445 at aol.com

It's frustrating when history gets recorded wrong, especially about our families.  People quote poorly researched histories, without citing primary sources, and they're trusted by people.  We genealogists know to check original sources, but it's hard to change written "histories."  I don't know of any way of setting records straight, other than writing our own family history and incorporating our documentation.  Even if we do that though, our books wouldn't be read by very many people.

Glen should be able to obtain land records to prove his ancestor Albert Hugh Robie was Mace McCoy's partner in the Diamond Ranch endeavor.  I'm sure I've heard the Robie name in connection with Harney County history before.  We've been to the Diamond area and we were pleased to learn from Glen how the area got it's name from the cattle brand.  There might be an old cattle brand book in Harney County showing the Diamond brand and it's owners.

How can we correct mistakes in history?  What do you listers suggest we do with situations like Glen's problem?         Gerrie