[or-roots] Circus Genealogy???

mflansburg at comcast.net mflansburg at comcast.net
Fri Aug 22 18:09:33 PDT 2008

Good suggestions, including the "Clowning Around" reference.

On a different family line, you wouldn't happen to be related to Don Alonzo Smith (1840-1927) from the Gates, Oregon area?

Thanks!!!

Marcus

From: DONALD SMITH <donald_smith222 at msn.com>
Marcus,

Nobody in my family ever did that, but John Ringling worked for my Great-Great-Great Grandfather Marcus Friederich (Frederick) at Prairie Du Chien Wisconsin, as a Harness Maker. Then he quit, ran away and "started" his own circus. Ha, ha, ha. I have attached an article to reference this situation.

Anyway - here's an idea... First, we know that the circus followed the railroad in those days... Start in the town that you are researching, (San Francisco) look at the census records for that type of occupation, circus worker, circus performer etc... you might find some fun stuff to clown around with. Then follow the circus routes, and check the census at the stops along the way... which may be available from railroad or circus history resources... just an idea.

Don