[or-roots] Historical maps - 1851 Willamette Valley

LinLouVan at aol.com LinLouVan at aol.com
Sun Aug 24 18:33:22 PDT 2008

In a message dated 8/24/2008 2:56:47 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
Kith-n-Kin at cox.net writes:

Linda,  I think the company wasn’t truthful with you, saying they held a
copyright to  a 1914 poster. At best, I think the copyright ran out long ago. Now,
maybe  they somehow have a copyright for some form of the image, but not the
original  poster.
But, copyrights can be renewed as many times as the  original owner wants.

Stephen  Fishman, in his “The Public Domain: How  to Find and Use
Copyright-free Writings, Music, Art & More” says, “Rule  #1: Everything published in the
United States before 1923 is in the Public  Domain. Copy protection on every
work of authorship published before 1923 has  expired and all those works are
now in the public domain in the United States.  This is so whether the work
was first published in the United States or was  originally published outside
the United States and republished here.”  _http://tinyurl.com/5vfnfl_
(http://tinyurl.com/5vfnfl)
I was told that they have continued to renew the  copyrights on the posters
they have. And,
I don't have a problem with  that.

But, the book in question (copyright 1972 and still in  effect), is not the
best source for the images, copyright or no  copyright.
Albert would be better served to either go to the  source and scan the 1851
map, or have someone do it for him, or ask if they  have it already scanned. I
just Googled the map, and found it is not at the  Archives at all, but at  OSU:

I wholeheartedly agree that going to the source of the map would be the  best.

Linda VanOrden

deal here.