[or-roots] Military in 1920 Census

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Tue Apr 21 08:29:34 PDT 2009

Does anyone know how military people are handled in the Census? I have most
of a generation of people missing in the 1920 Census including one fellow
whose wife lists herself as widow, though I suspect she was a grass widow.
Since the last name is Buck they aren't too hard to chase in a number of
different ways and no luck whatsoever finding them.

I know some searches I do one of the options is military for location and
1920 has that option, but how do you know if your person is there or
reported at home? I wonder what the criteria is. I could see someone being
on leave the actual census date and being dutifully reported by spouse and
also being listed at their duty post.

Just another wonderful complication to the search; we need more of those.