[or-roots] gps accuracy

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Mon Aug 10 09:43:22 PDT 2009

Ray is correct. There are a lot of variables in GPS accuracy. First of all
the quality of unit you are using; for professional survey a mere ten grand
or so will get us a base station and unit that can give us half centimeter
accuracy in all three directions. But there is a price in efficiency for
that, it can take three to ten minutes to guarantee that accuracy which is
one of the reasons my partner and I haven't jumped on the bandwagon. We're
cheapskate too of course.

My son has a unit that has a stated accuracy of +/- 15 feet. Some days he
can set a point and come back another day and walk right up to the point,
but at a later date he can walk up to the point and his unit will run him
around in a 15 to 20 foot radius circle around it.

I am not sure where Barbara's brother got his coordinates, Blm give the
following;
Sequence 	Latitude(DEC) 	Longitude(DEC) 	Latitude(DMS) 	Longitude(DMS) 	Map
Name
1 	     44.1456781 	    -123.3970427 	    44d 08' 44" N 	 123d 23' 49" W
Horton

Which according to USA photo maps is close, it actually puts you a few
hundred feet down the hill from the location as mapped.

It seems to be in heavy timber if the location is correct; coming west out
of Goldson there is a fairly long due W. straightaway at the end of which
the highway curves to Southwest and about a tenth of a mile past the curve
on the right should be a road to the cemetery.

There seems to be only one named road and it is about two tenths of a mile
further west Howard something; Br? Howard Brown road?

For some reason I can't find one of my Lane County maps.