[or-roots] Snow & Winter - no genealgoy

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 8 11:35:03 PST 2009

As part of our historical roots, and seasonally topical, comes this:

In January 1926, Time magazine reported:

"Having used the motor car for almost every other conceivable purpose,
leading Detroit automobile makers have now organized a company entitled
"Snow Motors Inc.," to put out a machine which will negotiate the deepest
snowdrifts at six to eight miles an hour. The new car will consist of a Ford
tractor power-plant mounted on two revolving cylinders instead of
wheels-something on the order of a steam roller. ... In Oregon a stage
line uses a snow motor in its two daily round trips over the Mackenzie Pass
between Eugene and Bend."

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=568_1233111054

Does anyone know if there is one of these contraptions still local to Oregon?  I know there are a couple near Sacramento. (the Hedrick Agricultural History Center & the Towe Auto Museum)  Maybe in places like Brooks?  Don't recall any at Collier Park.

Thanks,

Bill Strickland