[or-roots] I Need a History Lesson

Bob Casebeer casebeer at jeffnet.org
Wed Feb 18 09:44:50 PST 2009

Les, Among the documents from the WPA interviews for Douglas County located
in the Douglas County Library in Roseburg there is an account of one of the
Douglas County pioneers who crossed the Isthmus of Panama, went out to a
ship docked off the Pacific shore by packet, and watched as cattle were
forced to swim out to the ship at anchor, and then hoisted by a crane onto
the ship.  The reason: Those cows were to be steak and roast for those
traveling on the ship up to San Francisco, a spot from which either the
would be residents of Oregon would travel up the California Trail into
Southern Oregon, or go by ship up to Astoria, and then by boat to Portland
and move down into the Willamette or Umpqua or Rogue Valleys by wagon.  Very
interesting interview...unfortunately I have forgotten the man's name, but
it would not be hard to find it in the notebook that is housed in the
reference section of the Douglas County Library. Bob Casebeer