[or-roots] Llewellyn - Howell marriage

Bob Casebeer casebeer at jeffnet.org
Wed Jun 3 09:33:20 PDT 2009

Marsha, I just wrote a short radio script for Jefferson Public Radio's As It Was program about Henderson Lewelling and his two brothers Seth and John.  It is remarkabled that these three brothers started the grafted frut tree industry in at least two states:  Iowa and Oregon, and perhaps in Central California as well. t

    The fact that both the Bing cherry (named after Seth Lewelling's Manchurian
foreman and the Latham cherry (a sport that one of Seth's workers developed aqfter a seedling from one of the Bing trees he had, is remarkable.  And that
what we call the Royal Ann cherry actually is called a Napoleon back east, but one of the Lewellings had forgotten thre name of the cherry graft and named it the Royal Ann.--that too is a great story. Bob Casebeer, Talent.
    By the way by the end of the 1860s large orchards in Jackson County were developed and most likely all of the original stock came from the Lewelling efforts.