[or-roots] Unusual names

Kith-n-Kin Kith-n-Kin at cox.net
Wed Jun 17 13:28:45 PDT 2009

My 2.5 cents.

We had a Peregrine Pickle Bruce. Here's how he's described in a cousin's
book:

PEREGRINE PICKLE BRUCE; "died young from eating an Indian turnip." The name
PEREGRINE PICKLE originated

with a novel by Smollett (1751) entitled The Adventures of Peregrine Pickle,
in which Peregrine Pickle was the hero.

The name, under various interpretations of the original spelling, continued
down through the family for several generations.

Whenever this name was seen, one knew it was affiliated with our branch of
the Bruce and Palmer families.

The variations of this name were Perrygan, Perry Pickle and so on. Easy to
see how we kept up with that one.

Pat

In Tucson