[or-roots] browsing 1910 census on HQ

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Tue Jun 23 07:56:00 PDT 2009

I just fired a little not off to Proquest tech support;

People;

Attached you will find a sceen shot of a problem with indexing in the 1910
Oregon Census on Heritage Quest. Springfield is in Lane county, not
Tillamook county. There are other problems; Willamette Precinct is also
listed under Tillamook county in the browse index and I suspect if I found a
person who was properly indexed for that precinct they would also show up in
the same way.

The attached screen shot shows portion of Springfield precinct that I got by
searching for James Laxton who you will find in the lower right corner of
the attached image. If you start in that portion of Springfield precinct
that is listed under the browse menu for lane county, you can page up to
this person.

The person I was searching for in Willamette precinct is indexed as Charles
Poole, though I would swear looking at his image he is Powers??

Year: 1910; Census Place: Willamette, Lane, Oregon; Roll  T624_1283; Page:
41B; Enumeration District: 165; Image: 181.

One other little quibble, in the pull down for Siuslaw precinct it is listed
as Sinslaw.

Thank you for your time;

Leslie Chapman

Just anohter headache to consider when you can't find your person in the
index, or you are grasping at straws as I sometimes do and query by name and
age or whatever to narrow my search down to few hundred names in a known
county so I can browse a list to look for my Tack family listed as Facks or
Zacks and that sort of thing, maybe the reason you can't find them is the
indexing folks have moved their whole town to a different county. Gee as
prickly as some folk in Coburg are, I wonder what they'd say if I told them
Heritage Quest has moved them to Tillamook County.
Come to think about it, they'd probably be happy about it!

Les