[or-roots] Whitman County, Washington

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Tue May 19 22:58:35 PDT 2009

As near as I can determine most of my people that went north ended up in
Pierce county. I do have a couple of lines that came south instead; my
Phillips who were Aunt Nell's out-laws and the family of cousin Phyliss'
mother. The Melvin line we have lost contact with I talked about earlier in
the year kinda bounced back and forth. I think Phyliss has a picture her
grandparents took of one of the kin who was living across the street from
her grandparents about 1910 or so in Grays Harbor.

Mostly my family never has settled down, though we soon will be able to
claim "century farm" status for our Martin Creek property, but not one
member of the family has truly lived there for a whole life. My little
brother comes closest with a hitch in the Navy a couple of years in back of
beyond that I can't remember the name of NE Oregon in the '70s and a couple
of stints living in town being the only times he has been away from Martin
Creek. Of course he rented the house on the property between the rock quarry
and the Chapman ranch for a while too, but I figure that counts as being on
the ranch.

I think it is almost a disease most of us who have pioneer or pioneerish
families have had passed down to us; "What's over the next ridge?" Or as my
wife likes to complain about my travelling; "I've never taken THIS  road
before!"