[or-roots] Browsing Old Cemeteries

Kith-n-Kin Kith-n-Kin at cox.net
Sat Jan 16 09:02:05 PST 2010

Hmmm – source of the source????

Not to say that there wasn’t more than one Lester Moore, but here’s the way it currently reads on his Boothill, Tombstone, Arizona marker:

HERE LIES

LESTER MOORE

FOUR SLUGS

FROM A 44

NO LES

NO MORE

http://www.clantongang.com/oldwest/boothillgraveyard_graves.html <http://www.clantongang.com/oldwest/boothillgraveyard_graves.htmlL> L

“Lester Moore was employed as a Wells, Fargo Co. station agent in the border town of Naco. Hank Dunstan showed up to claim a package one afternoon. He received it, but it was thoroughly mangled. An argument ensued, and both Moore and Dunstan reached for their six shooters. When the smoke cleared, Les Moore lay dead behind his window with four .44 slugs in his chest. Dunstan, too, lay dying, a hole blasted through his ribs by the one shot Moore had been able to get off before he collapsed. Les Moore was given a space in Boothill and an epitaph that has made him famous: ‘HERE LIES LESTER MOORE, FOUR SLUGS FROM A 44, NO LES NO MORE.’ There is no evidence to indicate where Dunstan was buried.”

http://www.historynet.com/tombstones-cemetery-boothill.htm#high_1

Interestingly, Les does not appear in the 1880 census (well, Naco isn’t there at all, so who knows what district that was) for Pima county.  Nothing about him appeared in the Tombstone Epitaph Prospector from 1880 -1890 or thereabouts.

I believe the grave marker has been changed more than once, so there may have been something lost (or gained) in the translation. Here are some pictures, which may or may not survive the server:

 <http://www.carlmadsen.com/uploaded_images/tomb-lestermoore-750382-750613.jpg> http://www.carlmadsen.com/uploaded_images/tomb-lestermoore-750382-750589.jpghttp://farm3.static.flickr.com/2651/4140163436_f21a49c346_t.jpg

I do have a postcard of the marker from the early fifties, I think. From a trip my grandparents took to Tombstone.

Probably like this one:

http://www.thepostcard.com/walt/state/az/azn82.gif

The 1880 census doesn’t have Lester, but does have Lewis Moore, Tombstone Village, Pima County, AT, b Illinois, 1828. ester Moore

Anyhow – here’s another from the same era:

Here lies

George Johnson

Hanged by Mistake

1882

He was right

We was Wrong

But We strung him up

And now he’s gone

What do you expect from a town that had Mark Twain as a contributor (and maybe editor) of the newspaper, the Tombstone Epitaph?  I’ve always suspected his hand in these grave markers.

Pat