[or-roots] Keizer - mea culpa

Leslie Chapman reedsportchapmans at verizon.net
Fri Jan 29 19:46:21 PST 2010

It seems I have really got to quit asking for help until I have spent five
or ten years getting the help I already have received organized, I just
discovered that Sue had sent me the Mable Zieber - Albert Zieber conection
four years ago and she correctly pointed out that she is listed as niece in
the 1880 census.

So then the question becomes is she daughter of Ocatavia (vice?) age 30 who
is living with John and Eliza in 1870, or is she the daughter of some other
brother of Albert I haven't discovered yet?

And how many of the three Kiezers I have her married to did she actually
marry or was there more than one, Wow, the more I learn the less I know??

Les C

PS any one who is related to or descended from Thomas Dove Keizur Kiezer
Kizer Kieser however the heck you want to spell it might be interested in
this;

By JASON COX
Of the Keizertimes
On Saturday, a statue will be unveiled, reminding us just why we are called
Keizerites.
But for about 120 of those who will witness Thomas Dove Keizur riding back
into town on his Morgan horse, the connection is even closer than that.
A statue of Keizur will be unveiled at 2 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 30, at the
Keizer Civic Center. [MAP: 1]
The event is serving as a Keizer family reunion, with relatives coming from
all over Oregon as well as California and Washington.
"There are thousands of people related to Thomas Dove Keizur," said Teddy
Keizer, who lives in Portland and is seven generations descended from T.D.
Keizur himself. Teddy is from Coos Bay.
"No one really knows for sure just how many, and no one person is in contact
with even a small portion of the larger extended family that runs at least
nine generations in Oregon."
At the age of 50, T.D. Keizur set out from Independence, Mo. on the Oregon
Trail, arriving here in the fall of 1843 and settling the southwest corner
of town. Between T.D. and sons John and P.C., they had 1,358 acres of
donation land claims in their name. T.D. would go on to become captain of
the newly-organized Oregon Rangers, and his grandson Tilman was the first
child born along the Oregon Trail.
Teddy said the story of T.D. Keizur has been told and retold throughout the
generations.
"It has always been a sense of heritage to be proud of and a way to connect
ourselves to a sense of home," Teddy added.
But he said the actual connection to the Keizer community ended in 1998,
when the last family member born in Keizer passed away. That was Teddy's
grandfather, Ennis Keizer, who was born in 1908.
This fact, he said, left his generation without "any sense of the legacy
that follows that heritage.
"That is why we are so thankful to the City of Keizer for reaching out to
our family and giving us this opportunity to become reconnected to the place
of our common heritage," Teddy said.
http://www.keizertimes.com/news/story.cfm?story_no=12285