[or-roots] Keizer - mea culpa

Kith-n-Kin Kith-n-Kin at cox.net
Sat Jan 30 11:59:53 PST 2010

Les

Looking at the family:

1850- Peoria, Ill
Zieber/Zeiber, John, 47, PA
Eliza, 46, MD
Albert, 20, MD
Eugenia, 17, MD
Ella, 14, MD
Octavia, 12, MD
John, 9, IL
Zuletta, 6, IL

(from the 1860-Marion Co)
Zieber/Zeiber, Jno, 56, PA
Eliza, 56, MD
Octavia, 21, MD
Zulette, 16, Ill

1870, North Salem, Marion Co., has:

Zieber, John S. 67, farmer, b PA
Eliza, 66, Maryland
Octavia, 30, Maryland (Octavia was deaf)
Mabel, 6, Oregon.
 (this is mis-indexed in Ancestry as Gieber). By the way, the Keizur families are very close.

1880 Multnomah, has Mable Zeber, 16, b Oregon, father b Maryland, mother b New York (or, that the enumerator didn't get that information, which it looks like). She is living with Albert's family.

The 1880 Labish, Marion Co., has
Zieber, Eliza, 76, widowed,  MD PA M?
Octavia, 40, single.  Living with them is the Frank J Diem family, wife Gurtrude, sons John, Frank, Robert.

Mable was born (according to a couple of those infamous family trees on Ancestry) on 20 Dec 1863, which is too late for Eugenia Zieber Bush to be her mother. Could she be Zula's daughter? Could it be that she is Octavia's daughter?  Without a named father? Because the 1870 census does not give relationships, this clearly could be the case.

On the 1900 census, she gives her father's birthplace as Illinois, her mother as Oregon.  That, of course, matches nothing.   Let's look at John, the only son born in Illinois.

John died in 1862. It certainly is possible that he married and had a posthumous child?
In 1860 he is boarding at the Union hotel in Salem, listed as age 19, a book keeper.
Interestingly, in that same census, also staying at the Union Hotel in Salem, is Zulette Zeiber, 17, b Illinois. She is also in that census "at home."

Now, here's a question. What if John didn't die in 1862? There's a public tree on Ancestry that gives Mabel's father as John S. Zieber, mother as Cornelia Eveline Coon. John b 1841, d 1864, mother b 1846, d 1867.

This tree gives Cornelia's parents as Thomas Lewis Coon and Polly Lavinia Crandall. It also lists an additional spouse for Cornelia, James W Cook.

There were plenty of Coon families in Oregon, including Marion and Linn Counties. We have a Cornelia Coon, b Wisconsin, dau of Thos L Coon and Lovinia, in Lima, Rock, Wisconsin, in 1850.   Thos bros? Paul and William are with the family.

In 1860, we have C Coon, b Wisconsin, age 14, living with the Price family in Silverton.

S Price, 57, (millwright?), Iowa
Polly Price, 35, b N York
C Coon, 14, b Wisc
Thos Coon, 6, b Oregon
E Price, 4, b Oregon
Wm Price, 34, carpenter, b Ohio

The next household is
P Crandall, (male) 57, carpenter, CT
S Crandall, (female) NY
L S Crandall, 17,  (male) Wisc
EJB Crandall, 13, (female) Wisc
C P Crandall, 34, male, carpenter, NY

My DLC records on T06SR01W show:

34, 35	Coon, Thomas L and Polly Lavinia (Crandall)	OROCAA 001388 	1873	10/15/1873 	Oregon City 	3941 	D		15 Sept 1853

Here's something interesting. A Google search of < "john zieber" cornelia > comes up with "Covered Wagon Women, Diaries and letters from the Western Trails, 1851, Vol 3, Edited and compiled by Kenneth L. Holmes.

I can't pull up the whole reference, without a Questia subscription, but the tickler includes:

"Mailed a letter to Cornelia. A coquettish little stream darts along among the green grass ...... John Zieber, in his diary, refers to James Brown as well. ..."

Better yet, from:
http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.northam.usa.states.oregon.counties.hoodriver/243/mb.ashx

The Oregon Journal, Portland, OR., July 10, 1935, page 10
Impressions and Observations of the Journal Man
By Fred Lockley

"While at Hood River, a few days ago, I spent an hour or so with my long-time friends Mr. and Mrs. Thomas R. Coon. They are old-time Portlanders. Mr. Coon was the first city school superintendent of East Portland, when it was a separate municipality. Both Mr. and Mrs. Coon taught in the Mount Tabor school in 1875. The school house was located where the open air school was later built. Fred Balch, author of “The Bridge of the Gods,” studied grammar and mental arithmetic under Mrs. Coon and took his other studies under Mr. Coon.

(Here's part of the story)

"Father crossed the plains to California in 1850 and mined there something less than a year. In 1851 he came north, to what is now Silverton, Or.. In 1852 Mother, with my 6-year-old sister, Cornelia, came across the plains to join Father at Silverton. She came with her father, Paul Crandall. Father taught school on Silver Creek.

"When Father arrived here, in 1851, to start a school, James Brown, in a most neighborly fashion, vacated 320 acres of his claim so that Father could have a place. Father filed on this 320 acres, so our place was between the Barger place and the Brown claim. The town of Silverton was started in 1854, but it wasn’t named until the following year. Father died on January 10, 1854, not quite two months before my birth. After father’s death, mother sold some lots. When she was asked what the settlement should be called, she said, ‘It is located on Silver Creek. Why not call it Silverton? So this name was adopted. Mother taught school for a while after Father's death. There were only two of us children: my sister, Cornelia, and myself.

"On September 27, 1855, Mother married Stephen Price, a millright, who had helped build a flour mill for John Barger and John Smith. This was the first flour mill in Silverton and was built in 1854. It was a burr mill. Al Coolidge built a store at Milford, near Silverton, and in 1855 Paul Crandall, my mother's father, and Clark Crandall moved this two-story building about two miles to Silverton to a lot that Coolidge had bought from my mother, Mrs. Polly Price, for $25. Coolidge continued to run the store while it was being moved. This two-story frame building was later used as a hotel.

"My mother and my stepfather had one child -- Eugene. He was an architect at The Dalles for many years, and later at Ellensburg, Wash. He died about two years ago. My stepfather died in September, 1896, and my mother in October, 1898.

"My sister, Cornelia, married John Zieber, when she was 16 years old. After his death she married Jim Cook. She died in 1867 at the age of 21, leaving one child, Mabel. Mabel married Frank Kaiser, whose sons founded a hospital at North Bend and whose daughter married Harry Hill, a member of the news staff of The Oregon Journal.

As to who she married, the 1900 has her married to Frank Keizer, married abt 1887. Frank was born in Oregon, Jul 1857, father born in (probably) NC, mother b Indiana. Children are Russell, Philip, Cornelia, Grace and Ellen.

In the 1850 census of Marion County is
T D Kiezer, 57, farmer, b NC
Mary 57, NC
Francis, 20, farmer, TN
Thomas, 18, Ar
Wm, 9, AR
Elizabeth, 15, AR
Next door is
John B Keizer, 24, farmer, NC
Joseph R Patterson, 28, Ind
Mary A Kerzine, 9, AR
Sarah Patterson, 1, Oregon
Next
Pleasant Keizer, 22,TN
Sarah, 15, Ill

The 1860, Salem PO, North Salem Pct.
J B Kiser, 32, (male) TN
M J 27,  (female) Iowa
M D S, 8, (male) OR
F E, 6, (female) OR
O D, 5, (female) OR
L F, 3, (male) OR
W H H, 19, (male) AR
Next household unoccupied
Next household:
T D Kiser, 66, NC
F M, 28 (male?) TN
W Connel, 27, m Ohio
E J Connell, 25, female, AR
T B? Connell, 2, Oregon
M A C Casini, 19, felame, AR
L L J Patterson, 10, Oregon

The 1870 of North Salem has:
Keizur, T D 76, farmer, NC
Keizur, W H H 28, farmer, AR
Next family
Keizur, J. B. 47, NC
Mary J/Z 40, MO
Warren, 18, Oregon
Frances E, (female) 16, OR
Delphina, 14, OR
Frances M, , 12 (male), OR
Bertha, 9, OR
Walter, 5, OR
John B. 3/12, OR

Now, back to the not-always-reliable ancestry charts -- the one I've been looking at gives "Franklin"'s parents as John Brooks Keizer and Mary Jane Herren. It does not, however, give John B's parents. (Interestingly, it gives J B's DoD as 11 Apr 1870, which was two months before the 1870 census was "taken."  Hmmm)

Well, otherwise, we have:

http://www.keizertimes.com/news/story.cfm?story_no=7653

Thomas D(ove) Keizur m Mary Guirley
son John Brooks Keizer married Mary Jane Herren
John's second son Francis, married Mabel Zieber

Here's a picture of Mabel:

http://photos.lib.state.or.us/exhibit4/e40211a.htm

Oh, well, enough for now, I guess. This will help somewhat when I get my township put together, as I have the Coons on my list.

Pat