[or-roots] First's in DLC

Denise Sproed denisesproed at onlinenw.com
Sun Jan 31 17:10:37 PST 2010

Folks could have meant they were "first" in the sense of marking out the
DLC, not necessarily in filing it at the land office.  I believe they marked
out the claims and improved them long before filing the paperwork.  It's
been awhile since I read up on the process.  I also believe there were at
least two land office's (Roseburg and Portland - maybe more).

A book I really enjoyed about early land laws (in story format) was "Nimrod:
Courts, Claims, And Killing On The Oregon Frontier" by Ronald B. Lansing
published in 2005 by Washington State Press".

Denise
Descendant of AGEE, ATTERBURY, GAGE, GILLIAM, KENT, LIVINGSTON, SHAFF, and
more amongst the Early Oregon Settlers
A member of the Association of Professional Genealogists

The web page I made for my parents is at:
http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~merritt/

My genealogy related pages are at:
http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~merritt/
and http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~merritt/
The latter created using John Cardinal's Second Site

User of The Master Genealogist (TMG) http://www.whollygenes.com/