[or-roots] Why the given name squire

wm0g at comcast.net wm0g at comcast.net
Sun Sep 26 20:30:39 PDT 2010

I believe the given name of "Squire" had to do more with the idea of it's original meaning as an "arms bearer". Originally, S quires were the arms and shield bearers for knights and not a title for the "landed gentry" as denoted in English titleage later on.

So why so many named "Squire"? Well, in England and Scotland and Ireland the right to bear arms was by law only allowed the land-owners and not for the commoners. It is not a passing fancy that written into our Constitution by these Scots-Irish revolutionaries  is "The right to bear arms". Therefore, the "arms bearers" or use of "Squire" for a given name, were probably more of a statement of their new found freedom for them and their sons. The name gets passed  down as per European namimg traditions.

That's my sto ry and I'm sticking to it!

Jack Ciaccia

Erie, CO