[or-roots] Lester Niles???

mflansburg at comcast.net mflansburg at comcast.net
Sat Mar 26 21:52:22 PDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I am trying to establish or disprove a relationship.  I am interested in :

Lester Niles

DOB 18 Sep 1881

Place-New York

Death 25 Oct 1940 (Found his obituary on genealogybank, in the Oregonian, 1940-10-27)

His obituary lists wife and children, but not parents or siblings.

On his WW1 draft card, the 1920 & 1930 census', and his obituary he is listed as an operator for the Portland Traction company (Motorman on a Street Car).

I think this is the same Lester Niles (DOB Abt 1881, New York) who is the son of Gardner Niles (DOB Sep 1843, New York) and Margaret Adelia Hawley (DOB Abt 1846, New York).  I believe the family started out in New York, moved to Nebraska some time in the 1880's, and then some moved on to the Portland area around the 1900's.

Can anyone help me figure out if the Lester Niles in Portland is the same as the Lester Niles who's parents are Gardner and Margaret?

I have not found him on the Social Security Death Index.  His burial info is not on Find-a-Grave.  His name does not produce a hit on the Oregon Digital Archives.  I guess I could order his death certificate, but I was hoping to save myself the $20.00 fee.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Marcus Flansburg

Logan, UT