[or-roots] Genealogy and Mr. Dewey

ffarner at coinet.com ffarner at coinet.com
Sun Nov 13 09:53:17 PST 2011

On a trip to Kansas City this last fall I had the opportunity to again
visit the Mid-Continent  Genealogical Library.  It is overwhelming as I
never have the couple of weeks to spend there that it deserves.

This trip I came across the Dewey Decimal System for genealogical data.
Each state has its’ own number, each county, then at least each city.  I
suspect non-city regions also but did not pursue that.  Anyway, the
example sheets I got were, naturally enough, for the state of Kansas.

Therein lies my question:  Does anyone know if there is a site online, or
available elsewhere, that might have an index to the WHOLE genealogical
system for the United States?

We have been cataloging our books with Dewey for many years, but only by
general subject as that is the only index we have had.  I can just imagine
how much more valuable the resources would be cataloged correctly.

Now I understand this might be old hat to some, but it’s new to us!!

Thanks,
Fred & Patti