[or-roots] Genealogy and Mr. Dewey

LinLouVan at aol.com LinLouVan at aol.com
Sun Nov 13 13:01:22 PST 2011

I just did a Google search and found this wonderful document that should
answer your questions.

_Dewey Decimal  Numbers for Genealogy_
(http://www.yeinfo.com/howto/DeweyDecimal.html)

Linda VanOrden
Junction City, Oregon

In a message dated 11/13/2011 9:53:26 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
ffarner at coinet.com writes:

On a  trip to Kansas City this last fall I had the opportunity to again
visit the  Mid-Continent  Genealogical Library.  It is overwhelming as  I
never have the couple of weeks to spend there that it  deserves.

This trip I came across the Dewey Decimal System for  genealogical data.
Each state has its’ own number, each county, then at  least each city.  I
suspect non-city regions also but did not pursue  that.  Anyway, the
example sheets I got were, naturally enough, for  the state of Kansas.

Therein lies my question:  Does anyone know  if there is a site online, or
available elsewhere, that might have an index  to the WHOLE genealogical
system for the United States?

We have been  cataloging our books with Dewey for many years, but only by
general subject  as that is the only index we have had.  I can just imagine
how much  more valuable the resources would be cataloged correctly.

Now I  understand this might be old hat to some, but it’s new to  us!!

Thanks,
Fred &  Patti

or-roots  mailing  list
or-roots at listsmart.osl.state.or.us
Hosted  by the Oregon State Library. The Library is not responsible for
content.
Questions related to message content should be directed to list  owner(s)
or the sender of the message, by phone or email.
Technical  questions? Call 503-378-8800.