[or-roots] 3rd Ggrandfather's Will

Kith-n-Kin Kith-n-Kin at cox.net
Tue Dec 4 10:01:15 PST 2012

In the 1878 Illustrated Historical Atlas Map of Marion and Linn Counties [Edgar Williams & Co.], page 10, the map section “3” shows Salem, surrounded by North Salem, East Salem, and South Salem. Mill Creek actually cuts off “North Salem” from Salem, and above that is another block of streets. This is T6S to T7S and  R2W to R3W. The “urban” sections are 14, 15, and  23, clearly parceled into “blocks” and “lots” surrounded on three sides by farmsteads.

There were 180 “heads of household” in North Salem in 1880, I checked but could find no particular logic that would give a finer detail. I’m sending you a copy of the map off list so you can see what I’m talking about.

Unfortunately, without knowing the Range and Township, this is difficult, which is your problem, of course.  A more detailed contemporary assessor’s map of the time frame would help.

I would comment, however, that it seems unlikely that anyone was buried on one of these lots. The area, by the time it was parceled into lots, would not have been an acceptable place to bury people. In fact, from much before that, even for people living on farms, there do not seem to be a lot of burials on private property. I could find no cemeteries/burial grounds marked on this map, where other cemeteries in Marion County are marked.

I think the way to go here is to check the land transaction records in Marion County, in Salem. They have very good grantor/grantee books, which would allow you to “come forward” to the present from the time of the estate sale. However, don’t forget. Not everyone owned where they lived. The widow and daughter could have been living on someone’s property. The most obvious choice would be Sidney Illidge, who is the only one on the 1880 census page who looks like a landowner. So, even if the land hadn’t yet been sold, they may not have been living on it. Ah, the vagaries of censuses! <G>  Unfortunately, using the Illidge spelling, there is no record in the GLO records – and, it’s being so slow, I can’t use the county/township/range parameters to get a list.

Look for the map, you’ll find it interesting.

Pat Dunford

Tucson