[or-roots] Josephine Gross - Need more help

Leslie Chapman opera_70 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 17 11:35:04 PST 2012

Mike;
Do you have them in the 1880 census?  It occurs to me she might still be living with her parents in 1900, or near them.  I have made a stab at 1880 and had pretty much no luck, it seems more likely from circumstantial evidence they were from Alabama since none of the search parameters I have tried have turned up much of anybody in Georgia. Unfortunately this is as close as I have been able to come  so far;
1880  >  ALABAMA  >  LEE  >  AUBURNSeries: T9  Roll: 19  Page: 156
Surname	GivenName Age Sex Race Birthplace State County Location	YearSMITH JOSEPHINE	     7    F	B		AL	    AL      LEE	 AUBURN	1880
She would be best fit except for being 2 years too young and mother named Polly which unless she was Mary Frances or some such (isn't Polly a nickname for Mary?)  and Nellie being Mary Ann age 3  (minor little quibbles, though I have seen worse matches that turned out to be the right people) What I have is Eleck Smith age 37  b AL, Polly age 33  b. AL, Josephine age 7 b AL, Mary Ann age 3 b AL.
I am going to look a little more but I am also a little confused by the time line;
B 1871  GA or AL to parents Aleck & Frances Smith, ma ? before 1906?  Ma John Gross, 1906.
Nellie's marriage cert to Donald is available from WA archives if you don't have it and want it.