[or-roots] Helpful sites for searches

Denise Sproed DeniseSproed at onlinenw.com
Fri Jan 13 21:23:58 PST 2012

I would second Linda's comments.  I have the US subscription to Ancestry.com
and a subscription to GenealogyBank.com (both are extremely useful).  I also
subscribed to WorldVitalRecords.com not long ago because they said they had
newspapers.  I do not find it useful as of yet.  I don't subscribe to Fold3
but it is good for military records.  And Heritage Quest is excellent for
it's PERSI

Another site I find useful for Oregon is http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/
- you can narrow the searches to Oregon - it covers only up to 1922 but
includes some smaller newspapers and it is free.

Another site that is free and helpful for locating articles is
http://libweb.uoregon.edu/dc/newspaper/index.php?newspaper=oregonian  where
the years 1852-1987 are partially indexed.  Sometimes that helps give a
little more detail about the articles and leaves out advertisements -
helpful with more common names

There is also a California site (if your relatives wandered south a bit) at
http://cdnc.ucr.edu/newsucr/cgi-bin/newsucr?a=q

Just a few sites that came to mind with this discussion.

Denise Sproed (Descendant of many early Oregon Pioneers)

A member of the Association of Professional Genealogists

My genealogy related pages are at:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~merritt/
The latter created using John Cardinal's Second Site

User of The Master Genealogist (TMG) http://www.whollygenes.com/