[or-roots] Headstone Laural hill Eugene

Darlene darlene at thecasteels.net
Fri Jan 20 09:15:43 PST 2012

Sue is correct.  It is a Civil War military grave stone, and reads CO.
F, 44 WIS. INF

I don't know what you have on Henry Rogers other than what is posted on
your web site, but here is what I have found:
 From Ancestry.com --
Henry Rogers, resident of St Lawrence, Wisconsin enlisted in the Union
army on 15 Oct 1864.  Rank at enlistment was Corporal, state served
Wisconsin.  He enlisted in Company F, Wisconsin 44th Infantry Regiment,
was mustered out on 03 Jun 1865, died in Lane County, OR.  (Another
record, not so complete,  says rank in & rank out were both private).

The grave marker was (apparently) provided by the Federal Government.
It is the same as many in the Jacksonville Cemetery that I photographed,
and then researched the individuals.  There is a record on Ancestry that
lists headsones provided for deceased Union Civil War veterans,
including the company that made the marker, but it only includes the
years 1879-1903.  Since your ancestor died (according to the Find A
Grave record) in 1904, he would have missed the years covered by the
Ancestry record.  In your note on your web site, you state that the 1905
Springfield census lists Elizabeth as a widow, so death date of 1904 is
probably correct.  The record posted on Ancestry is from the National
Archives, so you might be able to learn more information there.

Also from Ancestry, from the National Archives:  On August 4 (could be
21 -- hard to read), 1890, Henry Rogers filed for invalid's pension
(Application No. 932645, Certiricate 673293) in Minnesota.  Service was
F. 44. Wis. Inf.  On Sep 6, 1904 Elizabeth M Rogers filed for widow's
pension (Application No. 813103, Certificate No. 583574) in Oregon.

Hope this gives you some answers (?), and further sources to contact.
Darlene