[or-roots] More census whining or when exactly did sex changes start taking place?

Leslie Chapman opera_70 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 28 01:03:33 PST 2013

Okay I am just gonna hit reply on that one, my apologies, the new Yahoo email which they didn't bother to ask me if I wanted, just stuck me with it., will not let me edit replies.

I am not quite sure how your comment fits the thread Barbara, since my basic question was where the heck was William in 1870? I am slightly inclined to think maybe William in the next household up and Mary in the Acosta household got confused somehow. I have found no further sign of a Mary Acosta though she could have died young and there just isn't a record of it. I haven't really pursued the possibility of a simple two lines apart name switch. In truth the possibility of that being what happened hadn't occured to me until I started to write this reply, I was operating along the lines of William  in the Haccia Goba household was my Acusta and something just "happened" to Mary by 1880, but there is no sign of Goba unless it is very different in that neighborhood in 1880 so I can't be sure.

While searching for husbands for some of Lucinda's  McGinnis kin today I ran across some marriage info a little closer to home. My great Uncle Edvard Hansen married Nancy Ida McCulloch in Empire in 1893 and I believe I found her and her mother in the Empire cemetery on ginda frave [yeah Walt, still having typing problems, but with the whole end of my middle finger numb and the third finger tip missing I think I have an excuse]

Any way the reason I bring it up is they also give me trouble in 1870; I might have Nancy's father in 1860, though he is listed as born in Ireland and six years older than he is in 1880 and I would dismiss him out of hand except he is the only John McCulloch I found in Douglas Co in 1860 and he happens to be living at the house John McCulloch marries Mary E Owens in.

The main reason I spend so much effort on these folks is because Mary's sister Bethenia is the first woman doctor in Oregon and also I have yet to find out for sure when Great Uncle died or what happened to his son Johnny for sure.

Anyway I ended up paging through most of the Roseburg area census in hopes of finding them and gave up. But I did find Nancy I age four living with Bethenia and Mary's parents in California in 1870 which really puzzled me because I had only Ida, Ada and Maud for chillins. Then when I didn't find any other McCulloch's in the Empire cemetery I got the bright idea of looking for Hansens; and there was Nancy Ida born about the right time to be Ida and of course also  giving me a date of death I can take to the library and look for an obit or death notice from to be sure.

Hippy New Year!

Les