[or-roots] Stationery engineer

Leslie Chapman opera_70 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 28 15:50:19 PDT 2013

Thanks Darlene; If I take that definition literally I would have to think Lee was working in one of the Saginaw mills running the steam plant in 1920. I will have to ask his nephew if he has any recollection of hearing anything of that sort. Cut most of my family and we bleed Doug Fir juice so the idea he was working in the mill would make a lot of sense.

Les C

Instructions for enumerators of the 1930 census:
"207. Engineers.-Distinguish carefully the different kinds of engineers by stating the full descriptive titles, as civil engineer, electrical engineer, locomotive engineer, mechanical engineer, mining engineer, stationary engineer, etc" (note the spelling of stationary vs stationery).

From Wikipedia:  "A stationary engineer, also called operating engineer or power engineer, is a tradesman who operates heavy machinery and equipment that provide heat, light, climate control and power. Stationary engineers are trained in many areas, including mechanical, thermal, chemical, electrical, metallurgical, computer, and a wide range of safety skills. They typically work in factories, offices, hospitals, warehouses, power generation plants, industrial facilities, and residential and commercial buildings. Stationary engineering is not within the scope of Professional Engineering."

My Dad was listed as a Stationary Engineer on the 1930 census, and I
    knew he had worked as a mechanic and draftsman for a company that
    made machinery used in the manufacture of bricks.  Took me quite
    some time to reconcile the occupation shown on the census with what
    I had been told about his early employment.

Darlene