[or-roots] Stationery engineer

Darlene darlene at thecasteels.net
Thu Mar 28 08:15:52 PDT 2013

Instructions for enumerators of the 1930 census:
"207. /Engineers/.-Distinguish carefully the different kinds of
engineers by stating the full descriptive titles, as /civil engineer,
electrical engineer, locomotive engineer, mechanical engineer, mining
engineer, stationary engineer,/ etc" (note the spelling of stationary vs
stationery).

 From Wikipedia:  "A *stationary engineer*, also called *operating
engineer* or *power engineer*, is a tradesman
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tradesman> who operates heavy machinery
and equipment that provide heat, light, climate control and power.
Stationary engineers are trained in many areas, including mechanical,
thermal, chemical, electrical, metallurgical, computer, and a wide range
of safety skills. They typically work in factories
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory>, offices, hospitals
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hospital>, warehouses
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warehouse>, power generation plants,
industrial facilities, and residential and commercial buildings.
Stationary engineering is not within the scope of Professional
Engineering <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_Engineering>."

My Dad was listed as a Stationary Engineer on the 1930 census, and I
knew he had worked as a mechanic and draftsman for a company that made
machinery used in the manufacture of bricks.  Took me quite some time to
reconcile the occupation shown on the census with what I had been told
about his early employment.

Darlene