[or-roots] Census oddities

Kith-n-Kin Kith-n-Kin at cox.net
Mon Jan 20 13:48:58 PST 2014

Ah, Salome -- "where she danced"....

In 1856, a herd of camels was driven to Camp Verde (in the Verde Valley, north east of Salome, more or less) and the Army used the animals to pack around Arizona.  Unfortunately, the camels didn't get along with the horses and mules, so that was an experiment that was doomed to failure. During the Civil War, they mostly were sold off or they "escaped confinement" and roamed the desert and lower mountain ranges for decades. Good thing they weren't quite as fertile as the horses, or we'd be worrying about "wild camels" instead of "wild hornes."

Anyway, "Hi Jolly" (Hadji Ali) who had come to the US as the lead camel driver, lived out his life in Arizona and was buried near Quartsite, Arizona.

Dick Wick Hall (humorist) 20 Mar 1877-28 April 1926, founded Salome, half way between Wickenburg and Quartsite, and named it as a joke.  He married Daysie Mae Sutton of Portland in 1911.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Wick_Hall

Until the completion of I-10 (sometime after 1970, as I recall) the way to southern California was through Wickenburg and Salome. Good place to stop for a Coke and a stretch!

Don't remember any weirdness -- at least no more weird than any other place around. We always looked for camels. Of course the last one was seen sometime around 1900....

Good memories.

Pat

In Tucson (where a camel lives across the river from me)