[OR_Archaeology] UO archaeologist Jenkins wins honor from High Desert Museum

Susan White susan.white at state.or.us
Mon Sep 14 14:11:09 PDT 2009

UO archaeologist Jenkins wins honor from High Desert Museum

(from UO Media Relations website; http://uonews.uoregon.edu/archive/news-release/2009/9/uo-archaeologist-jenkins-wins-honor-high-desert-museum  )

Research dating back 14,000 years in the High Desert is recognized with Bend museum's Earle A. Chiles Award

Dennis Jenkins, professor of archaeology and researcher at the University of Oregon's Museum of Natural and Cultural History, has been chosen as the winner of the Earle A. Chiles Award, an honor that recognizes outstanding contributions to the history of the state. Below is a new release issued Sept. 8, 2009, by the High Desert Museum:

Bend, Ore. -- The High Desert Museum has chosen renowned archaeologist Dr. Dennis Jenkins for the 26th annual Earle A. Chiles Award, recognizing his more than two decades of research into human ecology and cultural history dating back 14,000 years in the High Desert.

In 2002, Dr. Jenkins found evidence that humans were living in the Paisley Caves in south central Oregon 14,000 years ago. That challenged the theory of how and when the first people came to North America. His revolutionary findings released last spring in Science attracted worldwide attention. It involved interdisciplinary research, and an international team of scientific experts. It was a milestone in archaeology and in his long career, throughout which he succeeded in finding common ground with diverse groups of Native American tribes and other interest groups in Oregon through sometimes complex and sensitive negotiations.

He also has shared his knowledge, traveling throughout Oregon, enthusiastically educating the public about the meaning of archaeological findings in the High Desert.

"It is a tremendous honor and it recognizes my persistence, and my love for Central Oregon," Dr. Jenkins said. "I am just deeply moved by having the recognition for 20 years of hard work out there, and it certainly will help me in many ways to further my research and certainly to stimulate me to greater efforts."

Dr. Jenkins is expected to do an archaeology presentation at the High Desert Museum in the coming months. He has spent most of every summer for the past 20 years teaching at the University of Oregon field school at Fort Rock, Paisley and Catlow Valley. "And, I've been reaching out to townspeople and ranchers through the Chautauqua lectures (for the Oregon Council for the Humanities) at schools and libraries around Central Oregon," he said. He also teaches archaeology at the University of Oregon campus branch in Bend.

In Paisley, he and his students discovered camel bones and signs they had been butchered by humans. Atop the bones they found what rigorous DNA analysis revealed to be more than 14,000-year-old human feces, called coprolites. Dr. Jenkins has called this "the perfect human signature... the perfect artifact."

The discovery challenged the prevailing belief that humans first came to this continent 13,000 years ago across a land bridge from Asia. Dr. Jenkins' findings establish that people were here 1,000 years earlier. That suggests that humans could have first arrived here by boat to the Pacific coast, or could have come down the coast on land in a way that researchers have not determined, or that an ice-free corridor to North America could have opened earlier than most people believe. Jenkins believes that his continuing research at the Paisley Caves will reveal more important clues to the secrets of North America's ancient heritage.

His work includes writing eight books, numerous book chapters, articles and professional reports, and work on three documentaries including the History Channel's "All About Dung" in 2008.

Museum President Janeanne A. Upp said, "Dr. Jenkins' achievements epitomize the High Desert Museum's purpose of inspiring people to better understand and address issues surrounding the region's resources. The Museum is proud to play this important civic role in recognizing this work, and is grateful for the Chiles Foundation's generosity, which makes the award possible."

About the Award
The Chiles award committee reviews nominations from Museum trustees, peer institutions and the public. Dr. Ellen Morris Bishop, programs director at the Oregon Paleo Lands Institute in Fossil, nominated Dr. Jenkins. The $15,000 award was established in 1983 in honor of Earle A. Chiles, Oregonian, businessman and philanthropist. It is funded by the Chiles Foundation and will be presented at the Earle A. Chiles Award Banquet in Portland on Dec. 1.

Media Contact: Jim Barlow, director of science and research communications, jebarlow at uoregon.edu, 541-346-3481
High Desert Museum Media Contact: Cathy Carroll, communications and promotions manager, 541-382-4754 ext. 300