[OR_Archaeology] The 34th Annual State Of Jefferson Mtg April 23 & 24

Susan White susan.white at state.or.us
Mon Feb 8 09:02:04 PST 2010

The 34th Annual State of Jefferson Meeting

Friday/Saturday
April 23 & 24, 2010
Sisson Hatchery Museum
Mt. Shasta, California

The State of Jefferson group is composed of archaeologists, historians,
museum professionals, librarians, and Native Americans from northern
California and southern Oregon. The group meets each year to share ideas
from our common territory which crosses the state line, and our name is
from the historic efforts which began in 1941 to form what would have
been the 50th state at that time combining several counties near the
California and Oregon border.

*********************

This year we will meet for the third time in the town of Mt. Shasta
(previous meetings in 1986 and 1998), and your hosts are Julie Cassidy
(Heritage Resource Manager, Mt. Shasta Ranger District, Shasta-Trinity
National Forest) and Trudy Vaughan (Coyote & Fox Enterprises, Redding).
We will meet at the Sisson Hatchery Museum on Friday and Saturday, April
23-24 beginning at 9:30 AM on Friday and ending by 3 PM on Saturday.
(Directions to the museum and motel information provided on the
following page.)

FIRST CALL FOR PAPERS!  In addition to the regular “round-robin”
with everyone having a chance to briefly talk about what they are doing,
we encourage you to give a paper (15 to 20 minutes long), and we like a
variety of subjects on the prehistory, ethnography, and history for both
southern Oregon and northern California.  If you’ve never given a
paper, this is the place to do it -- a casual atmosphere and a great
friendly group!  Please contact Julie at jcassidy at fs.fed.us or (530)
926-9646 by March 12 with the title/topic of your paper and your AV
needs (power point, slides, overhead projector, or ?).

We will send another email with the tentative agenda as the dates get
closer.  If you received this by regular mail and have an email address,
please send it to Trudy at coyotefox at charter.net.  Or call
(530-244-0515) or email if you are no longer in the State of Jefferson
or no longer want to be on the mailing list.

Directions to the Sisson Hatchery Museum
The museum is located on the west side of Interstate 5 at the Central
Mt. Shasta exit.  Take this exit and head west (away from the mountain
and downtown).  The road curves once or twice, depending whether you get
off heading north or south, but in a short distance you come to a
T-intersection at Old Stage Road.  The museum is directly across the
street.  Head straight into the parking lot.

Accommodations
Go to www.mtshastachamber.com and click on accommodations.  Here are
three suggestions:

Closest to Sisson Museum:  Best Western Tree House Motor Inn
	111 Morgan Way, Mt. Shasta CA 96067
	(530) 926-3101 or (800) 545-7164

North end of town near Forest Service offices:  Cold Creek Inn
	724 N. Mt. Shasta Blvd., Mt. Shasta CA 96067
	(530) 926-9851 or (800) 292-9421

South end of town:  The Woodsman Hotel (I heard they have a government
rate?)
	1121 S. Mt. Shasta Blvd., Mt. Shasta, CA 96067
	(530) 926-3411

Let us know if you have any questions.  Hope to see you in April.
-- Julie and Trudy